Monday, June 27, 2005

Tour de Uitvlugt

Hey everybody. I'm in Guyana - Again! Not that I left or anything, it just sounded right somehow. Today was the first day of my fourth week of Peace Corps training here, but I'm stoked for tomorrow because this week of training is "volunteer visit week." This means that all of us trainees get to go visit a current Peace Corps volunteer somewhere in the country and just live with them for the rest of the week. We'll follow them around their villages and do our best to make ourselves obnoxious. My whole training group is kinda splitting up and going to different places tomorrow morning. I'm going west of Georgetown to a rediculously sillily-titled place called Uitvlugt. I'm dead serious. The locals pronounce it something like 'eye-flut.' I believe it's Dutch for "place of unpronouncability." You'll have to ask your local flying Dutchman about this one. Anyways the volunteer I'm visiting works as a science teacher at one of the village secondary schools, so it'll be cool to see how it works.

I'm excited about this because it'll be a good change of pace. I've referred to training in Peace Corps as "slave labor camp" in an exceedingly lighthearted joking kind of way before, but that's not really fair to the slavedriv- I mean well meaning Peace Corps staff members that have put a lot of effort into making training useful for us. I honestly do think that training has been pretty useful so far, even if it's just a bit boring sometimes.

My average day in training is either a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. We go to different places for training day to day depending on what classes we have that day. We usually have about 4 1 and 1/2 hour classes a day, and they range all over the board in topics. Sometimes the nurse comes in and tells us about nasty diseases that we might get, sometimes the safety staff comes in and tells us how to look less like rich robbable white guys, and sometimes we even go to different sites in and around Georgetown for tours of important places. Sometimes they takes us to the health center and give us a bunch of shots. This last weekend we were given a special tour of an Amerindian village a couple hours out of Georgetown. All this is good stuff, but it kinda wears on ya day after day for 8 weeks. I'm looking forward to just getting out this next week and relaxing a little.

Looking back at my last post now, I realize the title 'livin' like a parasite' might be a little strange, because it begs the question: Who's the host? Well that would be my host family of course, but the Peace Corps pays them rent to keep me around, so I really pass off the parasitism to you the tax-payer. Yay. Thanks for letting me siphon off a little bit of your life giving blood everyone. And thanks for commenting on my posts. It's cool to see who's checking in. I'll try to update again in a few days and let everyone know how Uitvlugt is, in case you can't make up your mind about your next vacation destination.

Peas out.

10 Comments:

Anonymous -PJ said...

Hey Wes,
Enjoy the eye-flut village. Just to let you know, while it hasn't been exactly tropical, it has rained here quite a bit.
Science to secondary schoolers... isn't that like English to engineering college students? Look forward to hearing about that! Be safe, have fun... not necessarily in that order

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Mom said...

Hi Wes - Found a "cheap" calling card over the internet...we'll see if it's "cheap" in price or "cheap" in service....(Maybe it cuts off in every conversation and therefore very affordable!!) It was .12 a min., so much better than the .53 we pd. last time. We're anxious to talk to you again but will wait until we hear that you're back in the area. We all miss you. The boys miss your "trash" talk over the pinochle table - nobody does it like you! Take care of yourself, Wes. Thanks for all the updates - we love them (and you, of course).

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Cousin Rachie said...

Hi Wes, you are a funny guy. I am definitely looking forward to reading your posts as you enjoy your time in Guyana. You make it sound like so much fun that I'm almost jealous. You should be a Peace Corps recruiter if there is such a thing. Or maybe a used-car salesman. You could make being bitten by a rabid dog sound pleasant. Can't wait to hear more!

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Joel said...

Wes! What's going down in Uitvlugt? Bet there is tons of fun things to do ;). But first: do you actually have any idea what an "Uitvlugt" is?
If not, then check out this page: http://www3.sympatico.ca/pvl1/ ...
it's nothing offensive or profane!
Enjoy the tropical weather! God bless!

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Aaron said...

sup Wes. It's been a while. SO far my Summer has gone as follows. Mexico, work, and some other unforgetable stuff. Glad I could keep you informed. Anywyas sorry I haven't sent you a message yet. It has been a long while since I could talk to you. I honostly have been bled to the point of near death at work, as I am sure that you already know. The other day I did an opening at 5 which means I was up at four. We all know that I would never plan ahead either so I went to bed around 1. Anyways enough about me. YOu soundlike your doing well. These posts are absolutely awesome. I haven't laughed this hard since I was a little girl thank you very much. Ok well it was nice talking to you again. Have fun down there. Miss you lots. See you later.

Aaron

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Ring Guy said...

Wes,
I just found your blog. Sounds like Guyana is going to be pretty cool. I am in the process of getting a job so that i can afford to visit you. I have had a few interviews with an enviro. eng. firm in Seattle that sound pretty promising. So i may end up living around some crazy pshyco hippies, probably not much differents from your slave drivers.. I mean Staff. Anyway, I'll be praying for you and I'll talk to you later.

Elliot

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Lynda said...

Geez, I feel so sorry for you and all your hard working friends and family, all I do is hold and rock and love on my little grandson all day. Oh well.
Love, Aunt Lynda

12:03 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

The first blog I've found that has some humour!

Good 'unya!

LL

3:17 PM  
Anonymous cousin Rachie said...

Ok Wes, here is my question-have you eaten anything weird since you have been there? After I read about the brownies you ate on the 4th I realized that I was actually hoping to hear that you'd eaten a bug or something. Have fun!

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uitvlugt is a great place. Was born there, and lived there for 23 years...now living in Toronto Canada for the last 30 years.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home