Monday, July 04, 2005

Happy July 4th Day!

Hooray it's a day of independence, unlike all those other days. Ironically today I'm back to being dependent again as I'm back from Uitvlugt and living once again with my host family. It's more like a day of unindependenceness, especially with there not being any fireworks here and all. Those of you guys that are having a fun 4th of July back home need to have some extra fun for me, figure out a way to convert that extra fun into cash or something, and send it my way.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that my 4th of July down here has been totally lame - on the 2nd the US Ambassador invited all the Peace Corps volunteers to his mansion to chill and swim in his pool, and today we all got to hang out at the Peace Corps Country Director's house in Georgetown. This was all cool but even with the hotdogs and hamburgers and brownies we're being showered with it doesn't quite feel like the 4th, so enjoy your explosions and picnics if you've got them.

I know that I can't get away with not telling you guys how Uitvlugt is, so here goes: Uitvlugt is about as cool as you could expect any funny sounding 8-lettered Dutch-named Guyana locale to be. Uitvlugt is about a half hour west of Georgetown, and it's not exactly a metropolis, but there's more there than I expected. I stayed with a volunteer named Eric, and he's just finishing up his two years and is about to head home. It was a great week just because it felt good to have some independence. On my first night there, we had some other volunteers from the area over and we made some pizza. Meeting some volunteers that are actually in service and not just training like me was good because it gave me a look at what it's really like being in the Peace Corps down here.

Most of the week was laid back because Eric's job was teaching, and school pretty much got out the week before I came. This was bad because I didn't get to see much actual work but good because I really just felt like relaxing anyways. Eric's house had an excellent veranda with a hammock that I got kinda attached to. I said goodbye to Eric at the party today because I probably won't see him again. Take it easy if you ever read this Eric, and thanks for letting me chill at your place.

This week we're back to training as usual. It's a little different and exciting though because I should know where they're going to put me in-country by the end of the week. I'm really excited to find out where I'm going.

Looking back at my previous posts, I realize that I've talked alot about what's been going on in Guyana but I haven't said much about Guyana itself. Since I could talk about pretty much anything though, I'll let you guys narrow it down for me by asking about what you want to know. My next post will be a 'choose your own adventure' post in which I'll answer questions that you guys ask me by commenting on this one. So comment and ask questions about Guyana, and I'll get back to you.

Arrr.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Mom said...

Hi Wes -
Glad to hear that you're back - life there sure sounds like an adventure (what with "chillin'" with the Ambassador and all....).
We missed you at the usual "blow everything up" Fourth of July event last night. Check your email for more family news...
Love ya Wes.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets see... are all of the streets paved? What kind of animals (other than people) do you see in the city/countryside? Is the vegitation between "metropolises" dense or is it fields? What do they grow to eat there? What is good to eat? What is the favored mode of transport? Do most places have power? What style are the houses built in (those that aren't makeshift)?
I'm making some assumptions here- let me know if they're wrong. Also, you can tell that its an engineer asking questions ^_^
Have a good time Wes, by the way Valerie and I are engaged and since it seems like there's no good time you may be back for the wedding... lol.
Have fun- PJ

11:27 AM  
Blogger Wes said...

PJ man congratulations on your engagement man! It was cool to hear about you guys' stay at my parents' also. Wish I coulda been there, but that would mean not being down here. What to do? I guess I'll just keep hearing about it.

I'll answer each and every one of your questions that I feel like asking when and if I feel good and ready so don't touch that dial . . . or something. I'm still waiting for some more peeps to check in.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Jeni said...

Wow Wes, an ambassador. And to think I knew you when. . .well, we'll just leave it at that. If it's any consolation my slave-driving father made me work at the Rockies game on the Fourth of July and besides the rain delay it went into extra innings. So that was all kinds of fun, as you can imagine. I love Choose Your Own Adventure books! I had some questions to ask, but when I got to the comments I realized that PJ already asked every single one of my questions, so. . .anyway, have a great week!

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aunt Terry here. I want to know how big the bugs are and how many there are (besides the ants with ESP). And I want to know if it is hot or rainy. And I want to know if you found out yet where you are going and what it is like there?

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Aaron said...

Whats cluckin big Chicken,

Good to hear from you again. I actually read this post like a week ago but you know me I had some important stuff to do. You know I had lots of like things that needed to get done and... Ok so I have no life and I am just a lazy slacker and decided to wait until now to write you back.
So it sounds like you gots some good fun stuff goins on down there. I don't really have questions that people haven't already asked about. I mostly just wanted to say hi and all that jazz. We just got back from Denver. We went to the country dinner theatre for Cassie's graduation and it was pretty awesome for sure.
Well dude I am defenitely missin you man. I have no one who truly understands me you know. lol. Well not like you ever understand me but at least you act like it for the most part. OK well I am gonna go to bed so I will talk to you later. Adios mi amigo.

Aaron

2:48 AM  
Anonymous Joel said...

hey wes brother man! how's everything going for ya?! how come i'm in salida and you're not here ?! ;) ... the past couple of days i've just been catching up on sleep and playing pinochle (get this: your dad and me stomped aaron and nick last night ... they sucked pretty bad ;)). alrighty, bro ... you better let me know what you've been up to down there ... take care. Joel

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home