Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The End of Training

Okay so . . . when I said "more next week" everyone knew that I was using secret slacker code right? If you didn't know, "next week" is slacker for "at least two weeks from now or maybe never." You'll know in the future when I'm using secret slacker code and when I'm not by guessing correctly.

Incidentally, secret slacker code is similar to Guyanese Creole in many respects. The only difference is that many of the words are slurred to the point of undeciferability. For example, the Guyanese phrase "ee kumin' by we jus' now" translates to "he's coming over in two weeks or maybe never" in English. Sweet.

Anyways I've been kinda busy lately. Training is over, and I swore in officially as a volunteer last Friday. We had a big swearing-in ceremony in Georgetown that took up a few hours. There were a few speeches of varying dullness and then everyone in our group swore to 'uphold the United States Constitution', whatever that means. I take my ceremonies very seriously. After that we had a swearing-in party with any other volunteers in the area that felt like coming and with our host families. When I turned on the TV the next day I noticed that the entire ceremony was being broadcasted on the Guyana TV news station. Apparently the US and Canadian ambassadors attended. Huh.

The last two weeks of training went by quickly but were a little stressful. The week before last was teaching practice week, where we practiced teaching on unsuspecting Uivtlugt students. We were split up into groups of two and each given a class of about ten real live students who were lured by the promise of free snacks. Honestly I have to say that teaching these classes was a big challenge for me. I think the problem was the subject matter we were asked to teach: life skills. Our first lesson was about role models. Hooray. Anyways I survived. I'm glad I signed up for teaching science and math in the long run and none of this sillyness.

Right now, I'm chilling in the goofily-titled town of Adventure on the Essequibo coast. Adventure is a village a few miles down the road from Golden Fleece and Zorg, but I'll only be living here for about the next six weeks. In Guyana, the Peace Corps puts all the volunteers that they can in secondary host families for a short while once they go to their sites. I guess the idea is that it'll help us get tight with the community a little faster. So now I'm living with another host family, and this one has two boys ages 9 and 11. They're cool. In a couple weeks I hope to get some pictures going on this blog so you guys can see what all the places and people I'm bumping into look like.

So that's about where I am right now. I'm now an official volunteer, at my site, living with a new family, and pretending to be working. Since I'm a teacher though and school's out my workload isn't very exhausting just yet. School starts late in August and until then my job description is going to be something along the lines of "read books in a hammock and get ready to do stuff." After the last two months of running around though, that's just fine with me.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Mom said...

Hi Wes -

I wanted you to know that those of us who know and love you the most completely understand the "secret slacker code"...we have for years added on hours and even days to your arrival, departure, and keeping in touch times! I'm thinking you have found your true "inner" culture...
It's kind of fun to tell everyone that you are in Adventure having an adventure...
I'm curious how we keep in touch for the next 6 weeks. Will you still have access to an internet cafe? Does your family have a cell phone...do you?? I'd hate to have to call the Guyanese government and ask them if they've seen a 6 foot tall, good looking white person wandering around their country somewhere...(however, I'm not above such methods!!)
Thanks again for the blog...and for the fun!
Love you lots!

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Hide said...

Oh Wes... You are great! I am glad you are having such a great time! What an experience! Joel and I were discussing it the other day, and we both agreed that you are "pretty darn brave" to just take off to some country for 2 years. Wow.. I admire you! Have a good rest of the week. You are in my prayers!

~Hide

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Cor said...

Wes!

Bro, thanks for the personal little comment last blog posting man. I would love to catch you on the phone too. I am still going to be in salida for like the next week so maybe we can catch each other before I head back up to fort fun (although I think it will be lacking in the fun initually due to dead grass, mounds of dust, and other amazing things awaiting me at the pad).

I hope everything with the new family is going wicked good man. Two younger brothers, you aught to be used to that, they probably aren't as obnoxious as me and aaron though I suppose it will be a breeze.

I got a good story that I think you would enjoy about mom wes. The other day kim's parents stopped in (for the first time ever) to say hi but mom had been gone for several days on a vacation with aaron and joel. That being said I am sure you can imagine that the place wasn't in the most tidiest of order. When mom heard that they came she about had a cow. Kim's dad sat in one of our sexy dining room chairs and it nearly broke on him. Ha ha. Neadless to say when mom got back I think it was the most violent I had ever seen her. I swear that I was turning purple from her strangling me!!! Just kidding, although her grip was pretty good. Anyways I have now discussed with mom how kims parents don't mind at all, but I still think if they ever come over and she isn't ready for it, it will be the end of me.

I better get going though wes... I think some cake and pinochle might be awaiting me. Missing you main, especially with the mens high lake trip coming and all the cards we will be playing without you.

Corey

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Aunt Jan said...

Hi Wes -
I've enjoyed your postings and have often wanted to comment, but the pressure to be clever has caused me to close the blog and skulk away without doing so. However, I have decided that I am not a bad person, even though I am not particularly clever and I will comment when I want - I am strong and sure of myself!!
I was actually with your mom when she first received the news that Kim's parents had visited your Salida home in her absence. Corey is greatly understating her reaction - I know cause I was there and personally had to do the CPR.
Anyway, I enjoy your blog (a couple of months ago I thought that was how someone felt the night after a drinking binge - now I'm responding to one.)We miss you and are praying for you. When you come home, it's Mexican food at my house!

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Aaron said...

Whats up Wes. Man it is good to hear from you. I keep reading your updates and then I respond at the first moment that I can, in other words this is the fifth time that I have thought about commenting on this particular update. Man it is good to hear that you are having a good time down there. I loved the whole Q and A stuff. It was informative and rivoting as always. Ok so only sometimes are you informative, but it was rivoting as always. Oh and I can say that it is true what you hear about mom almost killing Corey. I too had to suffer the many hours in which Mom had heard about Kim's parents visiting. The situation can be described in one way. Picture the ugliest thing you can possibly imagine, I bet you are now thinking of Corey, and then multiply that by about thirty and you have what mom looked like when dad called and said that Kim's fam had dropped in. It was a horribly hideous experience and mom was haneous to say the least. Ah and speaking of repulsive experiences here lately I had a physical this morning. I know that this sounds like a rivoting experience and therefor I will spare you the details becasue it could take the better part of an hour to fully explain. Alrighty dude well I had better jet. I have lots of nothing to do and it doesn't do itself as you know.

Aaron

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Joel said...

Wes!

Hope you're doing good down in Adventure! I love reading your blog! You crack me up, man!
My little vacation in good ol' Salida is almost over and it's time to head back to that other country and get ready for my senior year (Can't wait to be done next summer ... maybe I'll come and see you if I have nothing else to do ;)) ... We're leaving tomorrow morning to go on the High Lake Trip ... it'll be fun ... your dad, Aaron and me climbed Mt. Aetna on Monday and I went mountainbiking with Mr. Lambert yesterday (I almost died ... no just kidding ... I just had a little accident ... my knee is kinda sore and bloody and my hip hurts ... but that's about it)

Alrighty bro, I'll keep praying for ya.

Talk to ya soon

Your bro #3 ;) (Joel)

2:03 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

Dudes. Good to hear from everyone. It's crazy that the 'summer' is almost over. Corey and Joel I didn't even think about you guys going back home already. It feels like I left just a few weeks ago. (Wait a sec, I DID leave just a few weeks ago. What the hey?)

Woulda been fun to play a couple more games of Pinochle and see Mom throw her gallbladder out of joint but hearing about it is almost as funny.

Joel I guess I'll have to make another trip to Germany next year to see you again. Keep letting me know what you're up to.

And Mom I did email you and tell you that I got a new cell phone, didn't I? I sent another one in case the first one got sent to your evil twin by accident.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Jeni said...

I really don't think getting your gallbladder thrown out of joint is a laughing matter, as I myself have enjoyed my now nonexistent gallbladder taking me on a ride or two. However, I am deeply saddened that I was in Greenville visiting Josh and Heidi and missed The Great Explosion. I think it would have been entertaining, to say the least.

2:07 AM  
Anonymous cuzin Rachie said...

Hi Wes! I love your blogs! I can't tell you how much I look forward to reading them. I don't really have anything exciting to say but I wanted you to know that your sense of humor is much to my liking!

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Reginald, Duke of Chutney said...

Wesstun,

Your blog rocks. You make me feel good because when I don't check it for two weeks, I have only missed one entry. Anyway, sounds like you are living a Carribean life of liesure. You need to get a white silk suit and a wide brimmed straw hat. Work here in Seattle is pretty good. A little boring these first few weeks because I don't know how to do anything yet. Oh well, that will all change soon. I'll be praying for you. Peace out. Stay true. And other random phrase that actually mean Talk to you later.

Elliot

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home