Sunday, October 23, 2005

I'm not dead

Yeah so I'm not dead. At least I don't think so.

I originally wanted to keep up this blog so that the question "where is wesstun?" might be answered and not raised. So yeah uh well I didn't end up moving for another 3 weeks after I thought I was going to, and then when I did my internet mooching prospects dried up and then I tried going to the internet cafe 3 different times and it was always closed even though I was going during 'business hours' and then I got busy and then I remembered you guys after a couple more weeks and thought about what a punk I'm being for not keeping in touch and then I tried again but it was closed again and then I finally tried again today and hooray they're open! I'll do the best I can to summarize my recent life in a few paragraphs without any more run-on sentences.

So I really did move finally. Oh man. Unpacking all my bags for the first time since I've arrived was a sweet thing. I even found some stuff that I brought but I don't remember packing. It was kinda like Christmas. I live in a studio sorta deal on the bottom floor of a two story house. The family I'm renting it from lives upstairs. It's actually a pretty awesome setup as far a Peace Corps housing goes. I have my own entrance to the house, my own bathroom, shower, kitchen, bedroom, living room, patio, stove, oven, refridgerator, tv, sofa, armchairs and hammock. Yeah, I can get used to this. It's kind of amazing the range of housing luxury that Peace Corps volunteers here in Guyana can get. There's a volunteer living less than 10 miles away from me who has to put up with a pit toilet, no electricity and no running water for the next two years. Whew, I dodged the bullet on that one.

You'd think that after moving into such a swankily luxurious apartment I'd direct my efforts outward and focus all my energies on improving my community. Well, yeah, I might get to that later. For the three weeks I've been living at my new house though, I've actually been keeping myself a little busy with home improvement. Even though my house was totally stocked, I still didn't like the idea of being the main course for an all-they-can-eat mosquito buffet. Another volunteer here in Guyana told me that she likes sleeping under a mosquito net because it's 'romantic.' I think that's kinda like saying that gunshot wounds to the head are romantic because the color of blood reminds me of Valentine's day. I guess the romance wore off for me. So yeah I've been plugging up every mosquito-sized hole in my house with mosquito mesh. I finished last week. I've been sleeping without a mosquito net over my bed now for 5 days. Oh baby.

Hmm what else? Oh yeah I've been teaching at a Guyanese school for 8 weeks now. I kinda left that detail out. When I last talked about this I said that I was worried the kids were just going to run around screaming for the first week because of having no schedules. Well, they only did that for a couple days because they put the class schedules together quickly this year. Hooray. Now they run around screaming in an orderly fashion at scheduled intervals.

I actually really like teaching here. I was scheduled to teach 4 science and 2 math classes, and I'm having a good time with them. In some ways, the students are harder to control in class than American students, but they're also easier to impress, so it all balances out. I'm teaching at a secondary school, which in terms of student age is equivalent to a high school back home. In terms of coursework though, I'm basically teaching junior high material.

Not everything about teaching here is easy. Some of the student names have been tough to get down. Most of the black people here in Guyana have western-sounding names like Stewart or Keron or Notorious SML or something. Watch out for those Indian names though. I have one student named Vijay Nandhalall. I won't tell you how to pronounce his name exactly, but if you say the first name and the last name together quickly like he did when he introduced himself to me the first day, it sounds like a certain part of the female anatomy followed by " 'n doll all." I honestly thought the kid was giving me one of those I.C. Weiner or Seymore Butts jokes. That's his real name though. And that one's easy to remember because it's crazy. I'm still working on some of them.

Anyways the owner of this internet cafe is looking at me like he's going to be rich so I better get going before I go broke. Thanks everyone that commented on my last post and I'll try to catch up with you guys when I come home for Christmas. This not-being-able-to-keep-up-with-people nonsense has got to stop. I'm thinking of trying to pick up a cheap used laptop or something while I'm home so I can take this internet shortage issue into my own hands. (And so I can play video games. Don't tell the government.)

I'll try to post at least once more before I make it home for Christmas.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Wes.. you're great! It's so good to hear from you...finally! I'm glad that life is going good, and that you're keeping busy, and havin' fun! Wow... I'm sure that's a job trying to pronounce, and then remember, all of those Indian names. Good luck! You're in my prayers! See you at G'mas for Christmas!!!

~Hide

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wes, All I know is to say WOW! What a life. See you at Christmas.

George

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Joel said...

Wes, brotha!!

So good to hear from ya!!! I can imagine that life is pretty busy down there, as it is for me over in big G.!
Schools keepin' me really busy and I don't have a lot of time for fun things like video games ;). Did I ever tell you about my trip to Prague? I went there on a senior trip this past September. It was a blast!!! I put some pics online, so whenever you get the time, check 'em out: www.globetrottingwithjoel.blogspot.com

God bless bro!!!

PS: Enjoy the nice and warm weather down there!!! It's been cold and pouring like mad over here !!!

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey wes,
What happened to the school computer lab huh? Hope they have some sweet games like Pong or something you can play. I found a funny picture of you on my computer from a couple of halloween's ago- I'd post it, but I'm lazy. Have fun, enjoy the rest of the fall semester- I know I am- hahahahhaahhaahhaha...
PJ

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Mom said...

Hi Wes -
It was great to read all about your life again. I'm a little tired of the "not-being-able-to-catch-up-with-everyone nonsense" too! It was fun to talk to you on the phone last week. (for those of you reading this blog, he was baking bread when we called.... He must be related to his aunt Jan who won the Betty Crocker Award in H.S.... much to all of our surprise...) We got your airline tixs in the mail yesterday - leaving Guyana on Dec. 15 and returning on the 28th. They'll be in snail mail to you in a couple of days. As often as you check this site, you'll probably have the tickets in hand before you actually read this note! Can't wait to see some pictures and hear some stories. We had a great laugh when we read your post about the kid's names and pronouncing them! Take care of yourself - can't wait to see you in Dec. - it's been almost 6 months....
Love you!

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Your Biggest Fan said...

Wesstun,

Cada vez que te busco te vas
Y cada vez que te llamo no estás
Es por eso que debo decir que tú sólo en mis fotos estás.

Okay, fine, I cheated and looked the lyrics up. I was listening to this song today and thought of you because you are solo en mis fotos. It looks like it will be a while before I can make it down there because of limited vacation time at work. Alas, I will make eventually. I'll be home between Christmas and New Years. If you are in Denver during that time, let me know. I'll keep praying for you. See you later, dude.

Elliot

3:02 AM  
Anonymous Corey said...

WES!

Its corey and kim here and we just read your blog. Sorry I am so late to getting back to you man but it was great to hear from you as always. It is thanksgiving break for us now and we are living it up by doing absolutely nothing!!! We are so excited to see you this christmas man... it is going be so sweet to have the whole fam together again. We should dominate nick and aaron at everything wes!
I'm thinking of you wes and super excited to see you!

Corey and Kim

12:34 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

I'm only online here for a second, so I gotta be quick. Elliot I am going to be home until the 28th so we really have to hang out.

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home